Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I Thought Life Would Be Simpler By Now

I know that we're dealing with a learning curve here, and I know that Steve is still working, and that affects things, for sure. However, washing dishes, doing laundry, cooking, going to the bathroom, taking a shower...all those things that are basic & admittedly endless, even annoying & monotonous at times in our old house have taken some adjusting to in our new home. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it, thank goodness.  

For example, we've learned our black water tanks are much bigger than we thought they were, which means no longer panicking about using the toilets here early in the morning or late at night or for the two year-old. Plus, I've learned that rather than deal with the stress of using too much water for doing dishes, it is a much better option to do dishes outside in dish bins, so the kids can actually help. I felt like I was drowning in the kitchen between meal prep, cooking, and clean up. In our old house, the kids did the dishwasher, helped with meal prep, and even were starting to do a fair amount of cooking, and I was loving it!! Learning how to do things so I can teach them how to do it, so I can delegate more responsibility to them is crucial. I was really feeling like I never got a chance to relax, and meanwhile, I was watching them play, play, play! Now, don't get me wrong, I get pleasure from watching my kids enjoy life, but we are also a family and we help each other and share the work. Soooo...I'm working on daily chore lists and figuring out how to divvy up responsibilities. 

And we even survived our first trip to the laundromat...five huge loads, $14.50, and two and a half hours later, all laundry was clean, dry, & folded! It sure was a chore to get it all sorted, and loaded into the car, especially since I first had to unload miscellaneous junk, items for donate, items for storage in order to make room for all that laundry, but it sure was sweet to have all that laundry DONE in two and a half hours!



No comments: