Friday, June 15, 2012

Shenandoah National Park

In case you're wondering, Jake is on my back.
We chose a lovely time to visit Shenandoah National Park.  None of the sites have electric or water, so I'm delighted to say that Steve filled our tanks well before our arrival. :)  Although there were sites plenty long for us in Big Meadows, they were incredibly unlevel!  It was our hardest leveling job by far, but we persisted and finally got it!  The weather was perfect for hiking, cool to downright cold in the evenings and mornings, but pleasantly warm and sunny during the day.  I have to say that I don't love generator hours....4-7 in the evenings, which is really before you even need your generator in the summer time.  In fact, the last evening, we didn't have enough time to run the generator, and the battery went so dead overnight that I woke to the sound of the fridge clicking around 1 a.m., so we had to just turn it off.  Fortunately, it was cold anyway, and without being opened, it didn't affect the contents.
I think I should have gotten an award for getting the rig level in this spot.
It took all the boards and legos I had, but I finally got the low end up enough to be level.

The hiking was great here, and so were the bears!  In fact, prior to here, we hadn't seen any bears on our year-long trek.  We saw one crossing the road on our way into the park, but we also saw a bear just off the hiking trail near the summit of Stony Man.  Of course, we also saw a lot of deer, too.  All in all, it was just a peaceful, pleasant time to be here.  The kids did well hiking, the weather was great, and we weren't rushed.  Good times!

Shhh...don't tell anyone, but we left the kids in the rig and took a super short walk on the AT which ran right behind the campground.
Perfect day for a hike!
Did I mention that it was a beautiful day!
Dark Hollow Falls
When we arrived, we scavenged enough firewood to have a fire and wiener roast.

No comments: