Monday, April 18, 2011

A Mixed Sort of Day

You know the Charles Dickens' quote, "It was the best of times; it was the worst of times."  Today kind of felt like that.  We all went to church together this morning.  The highlight was praise & worship, "Forever Reign."  I kept getting a visual of my two year-old running into my arms with gleeful reckless abandon when she thought I was gone but she's found me.  Almost nothing in the world sweeter than that!  A few lyrics stood out, "You are peace when my fear is crippling."  I admit that there have been moments in the journey where the fear of the unknown has threatened to cripple me, and I have to choose to rely on & trust in the One who is leading us on this journey.  Some days, some moments, this just feels incredibly adventurous & exciting, and other moments, it feels scary to leave all that is familiar and live in a tight space with my amazing family that admittedly sometimes drives me batty. ;)  Other lyrics that hit home were, "The riches of your love will always be enough."  That is at least in part what this is all about, putting our trust & security in him & not in all of our things & all that we can control.  The riches of his love will ALWAYS exceed the riches we can attain in this world, and yet sometimes we get caught up in the rat race of life & strive for riches that we feel we have earned or deserve.   

So back to the best of times, worst of times...after church we attempted bluebonnet pictures with the kids.  Seriously, 4 kids, sun & plenty of wind...well, it was challenging, but I think we still managed some cute ones, though certainly not perfect ones!  Then back home again to work in the kitchen to help make feeding our family this next week and a half more manageable amidst that chaos that is beginning to ensue as we MUST finish up the emptying of our house.  Yes, the tension is beginning to build.  And as tension builds & things must get done, children will ALWAYS need you & your time.  Hence the request from child #1 to redeem a birthday coupon from child #2 for a hot chocolate date.  Yeah, I didn't really have time for it, but really, I'm so glad I made it happen.  Beautiful day, beautiful girls, and fun times listening to what is on their hearts.  I don't just love my kids, I genuinely like them, too!  We talked about three favorite things we liked about each other, and it was a great affirming time for everyone, plus lots of funny stories & laughter, which we all needed!  Apparently, I really needed to spend time with my kids to help redeem the major blow-up that ensued later after dinner.  Totally lost my cool over silly stuff, and had to snuggle my sweet eight year-old on my lap and sing "You are my sunshine" ten times over to refill her love tank after yelling at her for shirking responsibility earlier.  But oh, God is good, and while I so very much wish I hadn't lost my cool like I did, I was grateful for the opportunity to snuggle her close on my lap in the rocking chair & sing to her to make it all better again, like days gone by.  Sweet times...best of times, worst of times...

And still, the day wasn't over...Cheesecake Factory to celebrate my belated birthday with two of my dearest friends in the whole wide world.  And back home again to a hubby who is starting to stress about all that remains to be done & my ability to do my part...yeah, I admit, I didn't appreciate that line of communication.  Best of times, worst of times...ten days left to get it all done, and it is not going to be easy.  Praying for supernatural strength, endurance, & patience to get it all done...and supernaturally helpful kids, too.  But for now, praying for good rest...

No comments: