Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Few Thoughts on Purging

On the one hand, getting rid of things feels great, liberating even!  After all, sometimes our "things" weigh us down.  On the other hand, it's hard!  I'm amazed really by how much I hate to "waste" things; my mother taught me well, I guess!  And I've realized that I have an especially hard time getting rid of something that was given to me...even if it is something I don't particularly care for, or if it is something I know I'll never use.  The fact remains that it was given to me, and therefore there is some value attached to it.  Not sure why that is...but it adds another challenge to the process of figuring out what to take with us, what earns a premium spot in storage,  what to donate, and what to just toss.  And all the while, I can't help but have a feeling of panic about how all that stuff that we think we need to bring with us is actually going to fit in the RV...and I am certain that even after we close on our house next Thursday, we'll still be purging more as we adjust to life in our new home on wheels. And I'm frustrated that I'm such a visual person; I can't even remember what has already been taken to the RV, so even though I'm convinced that all of us have brought far too many clothes, I have to wait until it is all in one spot before I can lay it all out & sort through it AGAIN!  Feeling a little weary, but hoping that the progress I made today is tangible to someone besides myself. ;)

No comments: