Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Truck

I wanted to have a link that talks about what truck we had to pull our fifth wheel.   When we were researching options I looked through blog after blog mainly to see how they were setup in their on the road adventure.   After much research we decided to get a new Dodge 2500 diesel long bed.   Here are the reasons why we got what we did.

  • The used prices for full size diesel truck are very high (great if you need to sell one).  It didn't make sense to us to buy one with 75,000 miles to save $8000 off of the price of a new one.    If you buy new, you have the warranty and aren't buying someone else's problem.  The rates for financing a new vehicle are also better than a used.
  • We went with Dodge really for the price.   We paid about $39000 after taxes and the dreaded "dealer added options."    I have always been partial to Chevy but the prices are substantially more.   The Fords are as much as the Chevy's but not as good IMO.  I am happy with my decision.
  • We bought the longbed because there is no way the RV can touch the cab of the truck.   I know about slider hitches, but I didn't want to ever worry about that.
  • We were able to get a ST model that we wanted.   Most lots only carry the SLT, but I don't believe that the extra cost justifies few extra options and nicer interior.   The only option we needed but didn't have was keyless entry, which cost be $200 installed after market.
  • We had to buy from a dealer 75 miles away to get what we wanted for the price we paid.
  • For the RV that we have the diesel is required, no exceptions.
  • For the 2010 Rams, the 2500 and 3500 are essentially the same.   I don't need a duelly so I didn't buy one.
  • We needed a six passenger truck, and our Ram fits the bill.   The cabin is huge, we really need it to be with six of us and a dog. 
  • To get the best deal, we bought on the last Saturday of the month.

No comments: