Saturday, February 21, 2015

Shanan's 14th Birthday


(Written by the birthday girl Shanan)
The Zavocki family has several venerable birthday traditions. On a typical birthday, the birthday personage chooses the menu for the day, including a meal out at a restaurant of their choice. They are allowed to schedule the activities of the day, at least to a certain point. The birthday cake is per their desire. In past times, the birthday girl would go on a special outing with her father to pick out a bouquet of flowers, and when she was younger, an accompanying balloon. A day off from chores is an added benefit. 

Now for the reality! Hypothetically, it all unfolds without a hitch, but sometimes real life throws a bit of a monkey wrench. Each year my birthday (and everyone else's) has its own twist. Thankfully, in spite of the stomach bug that knocked down everyone but Genna just days before my birthday, this year's birthday experience turned out to be outstanding! 


My birthday started out on a great note. Dad made my day by helping me set up my own Facebook account, to my utmost pleasure. The festivities quickly accelerated when Mom and Dad presented me with a purity ring decorated with the Bible verse "True love waits," and my birthstone, Amethyst. 


Stomachs rumbling, I and the rest of the Zavocki clan piled into the van for the remaining birthday activities. In my search for a comparable substitute in place of my favorite Vietnamese Pho, I decided upon Wasabi House in Pace. I ordered a shrimp tempura, per Dad's recommendation - and boy was it heaven! I don't have to be a genius to tell that everyone highly enjoyed the restaurant experience. 


Enjoying my birthday lunch!
My tasty shrimp tempura.
It was my lucky day! Alyssa's sharp eyes spotted the Sally Beauty Supply a few stores over from Wasabi House, and that promptly became our next stop. I think it's safe to say that beauty stores are generally girl paradise, and although I'm not quite as enthusiastic about them as the majority, Alyssa easily makes up for whatever I lack. Alyssa, Genna, and I happily browsed the clearance section, scrounging for any sign of a good deal. As we exited the store some time later, I carried the rest of my birthday presents - even Jake had found a gift for me that was to his liking. I believe I am now equipped for a hearty nail painting spree! 

Our following occupations were mostly uneventful, until Dad made a surprise stop at Village Inn, a common Saturday evening dinner haunt for us. But this time we weren't there for dinner! Dad and I went in alone to pick out my special treat. I couldn't help choosing the heavenly key lime pie, with its fluffy cloud of whipped cream!


This was the delicious key lime pie that had entranced me.
I determined to postpone my homemade birthday dinner of chicken posole and chips with guacamole, so I could save the delectable taste for my fully recovered stomach. Instead, Mom cooked tomato soup and cheese quesadillas, which was a tasty alternative.

That evening we got to test Village Inn's promise of "Best Pie In America." Was it true? you ask. Nope. Homemade always beats store-bought. But if you think that means the pie tasted awful, you're totally wrong! It was divine. Thanks Dad, for buying it for me! 

I couldn't wait to taste it!
About two weeks after my actual birthday, Mom baked the miracle known as my birthday cake. Now, I've had birthday cake before. Many times. But this birthday cake was another story. Let me rephrase myself: It was another book! This year I couldn't resist choosing a white chocolate cheesecake, because the one Mom made for my 13th birthday was so amazing. I am so glad I did! Mom used a no-bake recipe (with an Oreo crust) this time around, and we served it up with chocolate chips and sugared strawberries - there is positively no way to go wrong with that! 

Doesn't this make your mouth drool?
Everyone was excited for the cake!
Blowing out the candles...
Because we barely escaped getting caught in the worst of sickness over my birthday, I consented to spread out my birthday meals instead of having them all on one day like usual. Although I wouldn't choose this option every year, I must admit it was a real treat to enjoy the last remnant of my birthday a whole 2 weeks after the date. That's one long birthday celebration! 

Wow. I am so unbelievably grateful that I have a Mom and Dad who love me and are willing to put such effort into making me feel loved and special. I love my family and wouldn't ever want anyone to take their place! Thank you all for such an incredible day, there's no one I would rather spend it with! 

No comments: